Sunday, August 26, 2012

What a difference a day (or two) makes...

I've used that title before - but warrants repeating!!

I am home, in bed, early morning, flanked by Tabby and Van and listening to the silence (you are right PG, in the earlier hours it was total). Such a contrast with the past seven weeks.

My last day in Rijswijk saw Lauren and Merel returning from their UK holiday and our lunching together before they kindly took me up to Schipol Airport. Very sad to farewell the cats, the house, the street and, most especially, Lauren and Merel whose friendship I will treasure. 'He tangata, he tangata, he tangata' took on a whole new meaning on this trip. 

Amsterdam to Frankfurt. Late arrival and a speedy transit to boarding area for Frankfurt to Singapore leg. In Changi airport, time for the luxury of a shower - sufficient to keep me going for the final, Singapore to Christchurch haul.

[Reminder to self - this should be the last time I fly straight through without a stopover!!]

Lovely to see Claire at the airport on a sunny, mild Christchurch morning. A stop-off to see Claire's Auntie Joy and Uncle John then back to Earl Street ('hi' to Gen and Luuk) before picking up some essential supplies and heading over the hill. I would like to be able to say that my return was full of the peace and beauty of the harbour on a lovely, sunny, almost Spring day. Unfortunately the heavy rain has wreaked some havoc. Inside, rain has clearly come in through windows - saturated and significantly stained carpet. Outside, at the bottom of the section ... well the 'bottom' isn't quite there any more -   two sizeable slips mean that some of my section is much closer to the foreshore track than previously!!  And more is likely to go. Emma hadn't picked up any of this - maybe it was good that I was unaware while away. On top of the travel tiredness it felt a bit overwhelming yesterday. This morning - well, that's life isn't it - we just deal with it.

For me travelling is a necessary part of living. It is about pushing my comfort zone, learning about new places and people, experiencing the rich diversity of the world. I love hearing every possible language - bar English. While this trip was not China or Cambodia or Korea or Israel (some previous destinations), it had its challenges and its down times. But I can honestly say it was a wonderful experience. Just very, very special. I leave behind some new friends - Mozza, Rebecca, Lauren, Merel, Jaap, Gerda, Raymond - and reconnections with old friends - Lily and Les, Jenny, Deidre, Tony and Ruth, Christine and Marjorie. 

I was going to write a post that collected up some of the small things that have dropped through the cracks. I will have to do it soon, knowing how quickly the experience recedes, overwhelmed by the 'other' life (all the one life, but you know what I mean). Maybe tomorrow morning - maybe not...

In case not, to those of you who have taken the journey with me, thank you for your presence, whether silent or conversational. I was always surprised to find readers on the other end and have much appreciated the comments; also the support at times when I was weary. The recording of the days' events is a part of the travel experience for me (once it was letters/diary) and it is nice that modern technology enables such sharing.

Whether there is a final post or not, thank you all :-)))


5 comments:

  1. You did all the work so thank you ! :)

    Re the water .. Lyttleton got hit really hard in the second rain, I was out with a colleague late Tuesday night with water cascading over the road in Cass Bay and we were frantically sand bagging to help push the water away from a close downstream dwelling! Among other slips etc. Got drenched through and froze. All good experiences :) Shame you have had a slip .. will pop in and view soon. And welcome home :)<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Jane, lovely to have you here in town but I will miss your lovely travel thoughts and photos. When is the next trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a local resident described the rain here as 'epic'. Didn't realise you were in the middle of it PG!! What were you doing sandbagging in Cass Bay late at night??

    Next trip Marion?? Hmmmm - wee break first ;-) Maybe a Sunday jaunt in Canterbury with friends...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mega thanks again for sharing your journey with us----but Ay-yi-yi-what a homecoming! Will be thinking of you in the aftermath of your journey and the effects of the epic rain. Slips. How extensive? May the force be with you!

    PG, I'm speechless at thinking of you sandbagging in freezing rain. You're a good man!

    ReplyDelete