Thursday, August 16, 2012

Back in Den Haag...

Yesterday a return to Den Haag city centre for a lunchtime organ concert, an art film installation and a visit to the Escher Museum.  The organ concert (Bach) was in the Kloosterkerk, just off Het Lange Voorhout, the organist Eric Quist. Sadly (and amazingly given the volume) I disgraced myself by dozing through much of the performance - no reflection on the composer or the organist, probably just an indication of my weariness!! Next week I am going to another lunchtime concert with a friend of Lauren and Merel's (Raymond) from just down the road. So I'd better be on my best, alert behaviour.

Another church - Grote Kerk Den Haag - was the venue for three 'multi-screen' films by Julian Rosefeldt, collectively named the Trilogy of Failure. There was something quite mesmerising about these films and their soundtrack/s - impossible to describe, just something to experience.


Great that these churches are being used for such cultural events. 


I also went to Escher in Het Palais (Het Palais being the former Winter Palace of Queen Mother Emma of the Netherlands). I nearly didn't go because the entry cost wasn't covered by my museumcard, but I was pleased that I did. Escher suffers, I think, from over-exposure - we all know his work, and its originality and intent has been dulled by this familiarity. What this excellently curated exhibition did was put Escher in a social and geographical context and show how the constant themes in his work (eg. infinity, transformation, relativity, dimensionality...) developed over time. I was very taken with his early work, probably because it wasn't familiar and it also because it alerted me to the superb command he had of his print-making medium. Excuse my poor photos. I still feel bad about photographing art works :-(




Woodcut of Escher's wife Jetta, 1925
Jetta - I think she has a fascinating face
Escher made copies of tiles at the Alhambra. You can certainly see the influence in his work

Design for wrapping paper for Den Bijenkorf (a large Den Haag Department store)



2 comments: