Sunday, August 5, 2012

Tavistock #5: On the moor...

My first full day in Tavistock I went to the information centre. Met a very helpful woman called Mozza who gave me a range of pamphlets and advice. In conversation we established that Mozza not only know Rebecca and Matilda but lived in the same complex of Bedford cottages. She offered to take me for a drive on the moor on her day off!

So yesterday afternoon Mozza picked me up (in torrential rain, though it was dry up on the moor) and we drove through Merivale and Two Bridges to Dartmeet where we stopped for a Devonshire Cream Tea at Brimpts Farm. Yum! Then on to Widecombe-in-the-Moor - an absolutely charming little village, virtually no people or cars. While there the sky darkened and shortly after the heavens opened - a downpour of tropical proportions! But it cleared again as we descended to Peter Tavey and a local pub for a delicious dinner.

I love the moor. I love the long, distant sweeps of the treeless uplands, the rocky outcrops (tors), the Dartmoor ponies (of which we saw many), the cattle and black-faced sheep, the lonely little villages. Yesterday's louring grey clouds pierced by shafts of sunlight just added to the magic. One can understand why the moor is full of prehistoric stone circles.

The ponies are in really good condition

Ponies and sheep wander all over the roads

Church at Widecombe-on-the-Moor
Widecombe
In the entrance to the church - swallows sitting on eggs. We watched them do a duty-change!

Widecombe
Rain clouds on Dartmoor
The pub at Peter Tavey
Little onion-less vegetable tarts made especially for me!

7 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful there. I love it.
    What was the sauce with your tarts?

    I forgot to tell you that I have made goat yoghurt...twice! :)) I haven't done a blog post yet as I'm still fine tuning how I do it. But it tastes great. Slightly tangy with a wee bit of goatie aftertaste. G tried it once but won't have anymore because he is sick of goat burps. I don't seem to notice it.
    Anyway I am thrilled with how it turn out. I will make cow yoghurt next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what the sauce was Niki. But when I explained that I couldn't eat onion the lady said can we make you up little vegetable tarts without onion. They weren't on the menu. They also came with their own side-serving of vegetables - all beautifully cooked.

    Can you explain a bit more about goat burps??

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roaming animals make good speed bumps .. slows traffic :) Great u are having little pub meals etc . . Do you have a warmish beer or a bit of scotch with it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know when you eat something and it repeats on you for the rest of the day...well that's what goatie goat milk does to G. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm---thanks PG---I was so entranced with this post---if only I hadn't read the comments---

    A drive on the moor----mmmmm----the look of literary England----and the swallows----

    "Swallow, little swallow . . . "

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Swallow, little swallow...' - that alone is enough to bring tears

    ReplyDelete