Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lydford...

The local bus drivers are a rum bunch. Many of them look as though they have just escaped from Dartmoor prison or been on the run for some time! They rattle along on the high moor roads at alarming speeds. In the valleys they negotiate the buses through narrow, sunken lanes scarcely one car-width wide. When two vehicles meet one has to back until it is possible to pass. These Devon lanes were made for feet and hooves not for motors. The local elderly folk use these buses and I love watching them getting on and off with their shopping. The women often have little trolleys. Again it reminds me of how dependent we have become in New Zealand on cars and supermarkets; and how we need to support and advance local as well as central.

Yesterday I caught the #118 bus to Lydford, just north of Tavistock. This is only a few miles from Coryton where Nora was once a nanny to the Miller family and where I stayed with Mrs Miller and Nan - neither sadly still alive. Had the weather been better I would have walked towards Coryton, but it was a persistent thick drizzle and so I remained in Lydford - once an important Saxon town raided by Vikings, now a small, sleepy, village. 

Church of St Petrock
Looking towards castle ruins in distance
In the castle walls
Detail of a stained glass window
Coming down the road and I couldn't resist asking if I could take a photo!
The Castle Inn where I escaped the rain for a Devonshire tea

5 comments:

  1. I'm loving the postcards :D Now I can picture you having Devonshire tea.
    The cemetery looks neat. Could you read the dates on the headstones? Wish I was there with you. It's all so wonderful.

    Made cow yoghurt and it turned out great. It even got G's approval! I still prefer goat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Copy Nikis qn .. Could you read the headstones in the graveyard ? That would be interesting. :) Stained glass is a clever art .. just lovely. Sounds like those lanes would be good for motorbiking on. There is a small farmer down the road from us who rides around on his draft horse ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the older headstones are too worn to read clearly. I can read back to the 1700s but anything earlier than that disappears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats far enough !! Lichen filled engravings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Miller---that's me---for 30 years in a first grade classroom----but happy to hear only deb now :-)

    Love the ferns in the ruins.

    ReplyDelete