Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On the move: London - Southampton

A final catch-up with my Allen Hall breakfast companions and a final wi-fi session at the Chelsea Library before figuring that, if I walked down to the Embankment, the taxi route would be direct along and over the river to Waterloo – so I wimped out and got a taxi. Excellent decision as Waterloo itself required 100%+ energy. The size of an airport terminal and streaming with people. Pink jacketed volunteers everywhere proffering icecreams and advice. The most difficult bit – negotiating the pay-30p turnstile at the women’s toilet – couldn’t get my money in the slot, myself through the turnstile and my bag through the bag area all at the same time :-(  A good thing I didn’t disgrace myself on the spot!

A smooth train trip to Southampton Central where Ruth and Tony met me and at home I was introduced to Jake and Oliver, the gorgeous brother cats. After a cuppa we went for a walk down around the Southampton marina (oozing $$) and to the point where the Rivers Test and Itchen converge just before they become The Solent. Tony was able to show me where Auntie Nora was born in Woolston, across the Itchen and where he grew up nearby before the war required evacuation. I didn’t know this – so it was a whole new piece of a jigsaw puzzle for me.


Ruth and Tony by the River Itchen, Southampton
1 August

So much in such a short time! Yesterday, Nora’s and my birthdays. A lovely card and gift from Ruth and Tony, plus card from Jake and Oliver! Then off to the Hillier gardens near Romsey, probably one of the very best arboretum/gardens I have seen anywhere with trees/shrubs, plants from all over the world, including New Zealand. We had a coffee at the Pavillion and then set off, umbrellas up, to wander the gardens. There was an extensive and very fine exhibition of sculpture integrated with the plants. Lunch in the beautiful Jermyn’s House followed by more exercise than we bargained on as we lost ourselves in the maze of paths!

Bird sculptures in the Hillier Gardens
Jermyn House, Hillier Gardens
From the Hillier Gardens to Romsey where we stopped at ‘Miss Moody’s Tearooms’, very typically English, housed in an old Tudor building and surrounded by a lovely period garden. Into the Romsey Abbey, founded in 907 and substantially completed in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. Here I really got to appreciate the rounded Norman arches, in contrast with the more pointed Romanesque. The Abbey houses the grave of Earl Mountbatten, acknowledged by a very simple, elegant memorial stone. One of the two local organists was practising so we had the benefit of lovely background organ music.


Bunting in Romsey town centre
A wander around the centre of Romsey, all bunting and hanging baskets, before returning home, to head out again shortly after to Brockenhurst in the New Forest (now a National Park) – to the Cloud Hotel, location for a birthday dinner. A beautiful setting enhanced by the New Forest ponies grazing on the green right outside the hotel. I learnt more about the ponies. About 4000 roam free, their owners having historic rights to graze them in the New Forest. Beautiful animals. We had more food than I had eaten in my whole time in London (just about) including (I hate to admit) roast guinea fowl and a dessert with enough alcohol in the sponge to launch a rocket!! Excellent service, an archetypically English environment.


Outside The Cloud Hotel, Brockenhurst, New Forest
[This was written in Southampton early this morning. I am posting it now from Tavistock in Devon.]




9 comments:

  1. Oh NO!!!!! Happy Birthday... XXXXX Ive got it on the calender too. :(

    Did you enjoy the guinea fowl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Niki :-)))

    Guinea fowl was pretty good. Not that different from chicken but nice.

    I also had clotted cream at Ruth and Tony's. I think I've always avoided it before but it was delicious - really yum. Naturally thick cream - doesn't need beating. Lovely smooth, silky texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Jane :o))>

    Have you seen any of those large black pigs in Devon ? :) Your b/d dinner sounded lovely. We might be able to find a bit of special brew for you. And with all those horses it is a little surprising that you didn't have any (sp prob wrong!) Pardafleese.!
    A dark red meat. GB got its first gold medal last night so celebrations would have been on I am guessing ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PG remember we gave Jane the sambuca. (His memory is starting to deteriorate.)

    It's looks such a lovely place. I've been reading up about different things they do with milk. I'm enjoying making things from scratch.
    Ooh you might get to see Hugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No large black pigs yet.

    What is Pardafleese?

    Yes, the Sambuca that I celebrated with!!!

    Hugh?? Ah, you mean Hugh F-W???

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is Dutch for Horse Meat .. I had it as a roast and didn't know what it was till afterwards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane. Glad to know you had such a nice birthday. We are deep in Olympic glory - go Mahe, go the double skulls and the pair - 3 golds is amazing.
    Look forward to hearing more about that part of Britain - somewhere I've not been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post all around---including the comments :-)

    Clotted cream, guinea fowl, Hillier Gardens, Earl of Mountbatten, Cloud Hotel and free roam ponies, Miss Moody's Tearoom, Romsey Abbey, a maze of garden paths---all so quintessentially British. Happy Birthday! Am I right to guess from the date of this post your birthday is July 31st?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right Deb. One day I will write about my very special Auntie Nora with whom I shared my birthdays...

    As I say your comments are making me return to mine which is nice :-)

    ReplyDelete