Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Nieuwe Kerk concert...

Yesterday a lunchtime concert in Nieuwe Kerk (mid 17C), now a central-city concert venue known as Prinses Christina Concours. Miyu Haraguchi (14 yrs old) played Schubert and Debussy, and Lena ter Schegget (15 yrs) on violin and Kanako Inoue on piano, played Elgar. Performances of astonishing confidence, technical proficiency and emotional depth which brought a standing ovation from the audience. I went with Raymond, who lives diagonally across Bilderdijklaan from Lauren and Merel, and afterwards we had coffee and apple tart (what else?) on the Lange Voorhout, lovely under the trees in fine weather and with surprisingly few people about. Raymond, it tuns out, was, until recently, Director of Research and Policy at the Ministry of Defence. Oooh, I had to suppress all sorts of political questions - well, I asked a few but so much wanted to know more. People are endlessly fascinating and the world full of surprise :-) 


Nieuwe Kerk today

4 comments:

  1. Impressive architecture isn't it ? That is the worst part about a shakey land .. limits the degree of detail and building style .. Chch should be opening up a request to the world of how to do this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree PG. Rebuilds like ours have been done elsewhere - and there are so many good ideas all over the world. I fear we are constrained by $$.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How inspiring---the young musicians! And that you can spell the amazing names and places in all your posts. I'm guessing it takes a bit of time and double-checking :-)

    So do we want beautiful landscape, or beautiful architecture? If I had to choose only one, I'd take the landscape. And New Zealand wins that contest, methinks. But thankfully the world offers all of it in different places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, constantly have to check spellings :-O !!!!
    I am very disappointed in myself that I really didn't in any way come to grips with the language. I just didn't try hard enough and I feel that was something of an insult to the people I was interacting with who generously spoke such good English.

    ReplyDelete